ABOUT THE SURVEY
The inaugural CiC Census launched on May 6, 2020, and ran for two weeks. It was promoted in our newsletter, on our website as well as via LinkedIn and Twitter. All supporters (429 at the time) were invited to participate, of whom 154 did (so, 36%). The average time taken to complete it was nine minutes – lower than was indicated. These are the anonymised and aggregated survey results.
|65 and over||0.65%|
|White: English / Welsh / Scottish / Northern Irish / British||84.87%|
|Mixed / Multiple ethnic group: White and Asian||2.63%|
|Any other Mixed / Multiple ethnic background||1.97%|
|Asian / Asian British: Indian||1.97%|
|Any other White background||1.32%|
|Mixed / Multiple ethnic group: White and Black Caribbean||1.32%|
|Black / African / Caribbean / Black British: African||1.32%|
|Any other Black / African / Caribbean background||0.66%|
|Other ethnic group: Arab||0.66%|
ABOUT YOUR WORK
4. Where do you work – usually and for the most part?
|Outside of London||13.64%|
5. How would you categorise your employment – for the most part?
|Agency / Consultancy||40.26%|
|Not-for-profit / Charity*||8.44%|
|UK Parliament / Constituency||5.19%|
|Civil Service, including Number 10||1.95%|
|UK Government, including Number 10||1.95%|
|The Conservative Party||0.65%|
6. How would you categorise your role – usually and for the most part?
|Public affairs / Government relations / Lobbying||56.49%|
|Public relations / Media relations / Corporate communications / Financial PR||27.92%|
|Other, including Member of Parliament or Peer||6.49%|
|Digital communications / Social media||5.84%|
|UK Parliament / Constituency||0.65%|
7. How would you categorise your seniority in the industry?
|Director / Head*||44.81%|
|CEO / Director General*||6.49%|
|Chairman / Non-Executive Director*||1.30%|
|Other, including Member of Parliament or Peer||4.55%|
8. Have you been, are you or would you like to be a:
|Member of Parliament?||47.62%||52.38%||0.00%|
Less than half think the same about being an MP.
ABOUT YOUR SUPPORT
9. When did you join us?
|Before our relaunch in May 2019||37.01%|
|After our relaunch in May 2019||62.99%|
10. How did you discover us – in the first instance?
|Colleague / Friend||38.31%|
|Social media, including LinkedIn and Twitter||31.82%|
|Word of mouth||8.44%|
|News article e.g. ConservativeHome.com||3.25%|
11. Why did you join us?
|Contribute ideas and content||45.45%|
12. Are you interested in being:
|Mentored by another supporter?||66.19%||33.91%|
|A mentor to another supporter?||72.22%||27.78%|
13. How should we get more women involved?
14. Would you or your firm be interested in learning more about:
|Hosting and / or sponsoring an event for us?||50.00%||29.87%||20.13%|
|Contributing and / or sponsoring content on our blog / in our newsletter?||27.27%||49.35%||23.38%|
ABOUT OUR EVENTS
15. Since May 2019, we have organised three events with speakers:
- Relaunch: Lord Black in conversation with Katie Perrior
- Autumn: Kulveer Ranger in conversation with The Rt Hon Priti Patel MP
- Spring: Industry panel with Sir Robbie Gibb, Paul Goodman and Professor Goodwin. How many of these did you:
|One or more||None|
16. How could we improve our events?
17. If you couldn’t attend any of our events, after RSVPing, what was the reason why?
|Change of heart||2.70%|
18. As of right now, are you planning to attend:
|CiC Summer Reception 2020?||78.22%||21.78%|
|Conservative Party Conference 2020?||81.03%||18.97%|
ABOUT OUR CONTENT
19. Do you:
|Read our newsletter?||86.36%||13.64%|
|Visit our website?||50.65%||49.35%|
20. How can we improve our newsletter and website?
21. What would you like to be in the newsletter?
|Industry updates (summarised news)||61.04%|
|Hear from our parliamentary patrons||59.09%|
|Hear from our industry patrons||42.21%|
|Hear from our chair||38.96%|
|Hear from our directors||33.12%|
|Competitions / quizzes||11.04%|
ABOUT THE GOVERNMENT’S COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGY AND MEDIA
22. How would you rate the UK Government’s Covid-19 communications strategy?
Mean average 3.18 out of 5. Average score.
23. How would you rate the original ‘Stay home, Protect the NHS, Save lives’ slogan?
Mean average 4.49 out of 5. Good score.
24. What, if at all, should the new slogan be?
25. Which Cabinet minister has impressed you the most (at the podium and during interviews)?
26. How would you rate these aspects of the daily press briefings? (Out of 5)
|The visual look: setting, podiums, branding||3.79|
|Inviting the public to ask questions||3.70|
|Regularity of daily briefings||3.54|
|Use of visual aides||3.51|
|Simplicity of the messaging||3.42|
|Variety of the spokespeople||3.42|
|Duration of daily briefings||3.34|
27. Do you think Number 10 should host daily televised press briefings in the future?
28. Some polling indicates that trust in the mainstream media (MSM) is lower than before the pandemic. Overall, do you believe the MSM has provided balanced and unbiased reporting?
29. How trustworthy are these news brands? (Out of 5)
ABOUT THE FUTURE
30. Were you able to take advantage of flexible working or work from home schemes before the pandemic?
31. Will you be advocating for the same or more flexible working or working from home schemes after the pandemic?
32. What did you like most about working from home?
|More time to be active||41.56%|
|More money for other things||40.91%|
|More time with family||33.12%|
|Time to really think||32.47%|
|Trust from my manager||27.92%|
33. What did you like least about working from home?
|Less time with colleagues||59.74%|
|Distinguishing between work / home||58.44%|
|Less time with friends||45.45%|
|Making a decent routine||21.43%|
|Preferred my old routine||16.23%|
|Juggling my family responsibilities||15.58%|
|Less time with family||9.09%|
34. “I’m optimistic about the future of our sector.” Where do you stand on that position statement?
Mean average 7.24 out of 10. Good score.
35. All things considered, do you feel being a supporter of us is worthwhile?
36. Right now, Conservatives in Communications is staffed by volunteers and is limited in the services it can provide. The cost of maintaining our website and platforms (Eventbrite, MailChimp, SurveyMonkey and WordPress etc), time, travel and very limited entertaining is covered by the staff themselves. Would you be willing to contribute a small annual amount to continue receiving added valued newsletters based on more options as in Q21?
37. How much would you be willing to pay per annum?
|Up to £20||59.74%|
|Up to £25||21.43%|
|Up to £30||9.09%|
|Up to £49||4.55%|
|Up to £35||2.6%|
|£50 or more||2.6%|
38. Please let us know about any other feedback you have.